Net User Change Password
We can change the password of the user using the command prompt. In this article, we have discussed the method in detail.
Changing your windows’ user password with the command prompt’s help is one of the fastest and easiest ways. Some new users may be a bit scared off by thinking of the command prompt, but it indeed is an easy and fun method to change your password using it. So, next time you plan on changing your password, remember to use this method.
Use the Net User Command to Change the Password
To change your password with the help of the command line, you need first to run the net user command line:
- Open the Command Prompt using the administrator privileges (run as administrator). To run it like this:
a) Type CMD into the start panel.
b) Select the Command Prompt option and choose to Run as Administrator.
- Then enter the following command line “net user” and press Enter, and it will pop up all the user accounts available in your system.
- Remember the user account you want to change the password, for example, “Raj.”
- To change the password now, type the “net user” command as shown below, replacing the USERNAME with your desired one, in this case, “Raj,” and NEW PASS with the actual password you would like to set for that account. In case the username is more than one word, then you will need to place it inside “quotes.”
- net user USERNAME NEW PASS
- net user “USER NAME” NEW PASS
- net user RAJ helloworld@123
- net user “RAJ SINGH” helloworld@123
- After you have set it according to your desire, just press enter to run the command, and it will show you a completed successfully message. Now you can simply use the new password to log in.
Also, a tip for extra security while changing passwords. You can tweak this method, which would prevent the command from showing your new password appearing on the screen. To do this simply:
Type net user USERNAME*, and windows will prompt you to type in your new password twice to be sure that you don’t mistype the decided password. This method will be useful if you have someone nearby and will manage to hide the new password from them.
You might encounter an Access Denied message, but that would be because you didn’t run the command prompt as an Administrator. To change your password, it is mandatory to run your command prompt as an Administrator.
Standard user accounts can not change the password for others.