Top 5 Notepad++ Tricks Notepad++ is a free source code editor, an alternative to Notepad, and can support several languages. Many other editors are available online, but this is one of the most famous editors because it is free and has numerous features. You can write different programming languages in it including .html, .bash, .js, .php and many more. Here are a few tricks listed down below, which will make your work many times easier
Table of Content
- Create or Set your Notepad++ Theme
- Open Files Quicker
- See the Changes side by side.
- Delete all the lines containing a specific word
Macro – Automate what you do
Many people often have to repeat the tasks that they usually do every time, which is time-consuming. Notepad ++ can record the tasks that you repeat while writing something and replay those later to avoid repetition of the same tasks. This is called a macro, which can prove to be a good time saver. You can record macros and play them as many times as you want, and for as long as you wish, you can even assign keystrokes to them for faster access.
To record a macro:
- Select Macro from the toolbar and click on Start Recording. Once you have clicked on record, it will start to record everything you do in your notepad++ tab.
- After you have recorded the repetitive steps, now is the time to stop it. To stop it, click again on Macro from the toolbar and click on Stop Recording.
After you have stopped recording the macro, it will store your actions into a temporary buffer, so you need to save it before. In case you forget to save it and start recording another macro, then this one will be lost forever.
Create or Set your Notepad++ Theme
Top 5 Notepad++ Tricks If you are bored with the old theme of Notepad++, you can change the theme or even design a theme of your own choice. Though, Notepad ++ has some in-built themes in case you want to try them.
To set your theme for Notepad++ you would require a .xml file.
- You need to download the .xml file (you can download themes online) or create a theme of your own choice and save it as a .xml file.
- Move the theme file to C:\Program\File\Notepad++\Themes. (In case you don’t have the Theme folder under Notepad++, you need to create it manually.)
- Open Notepad++ click on the settings from the toolbar, then click on style configurator and select your downloaded theme from the drop-down menu and activate it.
Voila! You have your new theme setup, and now you are ready to work with style!
Open Files Quicker
Sometimes we have a file full of different codes, and it becomes tougher to remember all the file names, and then navigating through them becomes a tedious task. To remove this hindrance and to open your files quicker, you can simply try this method.
- Click on File from the toolbar and check all the recently opened files.
- It shows up to 15 files but is limited to this. You can increase the Recently Opened files.
- To increase the 15 files limit simply, open Setting, click on Preferences; under Recent Files History, you will have an option to increase or decrease this number.
See the Changes side by side.
Sometimes we make a few changes in a particular file and want to review it side-by-side with the original file. The longer way would be to copy the whole data into another tab, but here is the trick to do it with a single click so you can review two files side by side.
- Open the file that you wish to review side by side.
- Right-click on the File tab and select the option of Clone to Other View.
Delete all the lines containing a specific word
You have just completed your work and come across a word that would break the whole code, and now you have to go through the file again, finding that word again and again, and then delete it. So we will make this task easier for you.
- Open the desired file you want to make changes to in case it isn’t already opened.
- Press CTRL+F and click on the Mark tab and enter the desired “Word.”
- After this, all the “Word” will be marked in the tab.
- To remove this, click on Search in the toolbar and click on Bookmark and click on Remove Bookmarked Lines.
And it was as simple as this, I hope Top 5 Notepad++ Tricks helped you out.